1.13.2011

Oatmeal Cookies

One of my goals for the new year is actually to bake less. Although baking is one of my favorite hobbies, it can get pretty expensive and having sweet treats around constantly isn't the healthiest thing to do. Instead, I've decided to stop buying oreos and bake cookies for our lunches. I really like the idea of eating less processed foods. One day, I'd love to take it even further by baking our own bread.

So, over the weekend I made a double batch of oatmeal cookies that will hopefully last for the rest of January. Here they are with the rest of my lunch - pb&j, carrots, and an apple.

Oatmeal Cookies


Oatmeal Cookies

{From Southern Living}

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups butter

3/4 cups brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 cups quick oats

Directions:

Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until blended. Combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in oats. Using a teaspoon, drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for ten minutes. Cool on wire rack. Makes sixty cookies.

Of course, Adam and I didn't give up eating dessert completely. We've been getting our sweets fix with hot chocolate or berry smoothies.

Smoothies