9.13.2013

Not The Best Day

 Presenting the world's worst ultrasound profile shot, courtesy of the stubborn baby who insists on keeping her hands and feet in front of her face every single time:

Thirty Four Week Ultrasound

I just finished cleaning toddler vomit off our couch and carpet.  But, surprisingly, that hasn't been the worst part of my morning. 

You see, despite my nightly ice cream consumption, I haven't gained very much weight this pregnancy. Like, under ten pounds. I didn't gain very much with Claire either {18 pounds} so the doctor wasn't really worried, but asked me to come in for an extra ultrasound just in case. 

It turns out Maggie is in only in the 10th percentile, compared to the 20th percentile at her twenty-week ultrasound. I am 34 weeks along and they estimate she weighs 4 pounds, 6 ounces right now. For comparison, when Claire was born at 35 weeks along, she weighed 5 pounds, 12 ounces. That's kind of a big difference. 

They're different kids, though, and so far everything else looks good. There's plenty of blood flow in the placenta, enough amniotic fluid, and my belly is measuring correctly. Right now, this just means lots of extra appointments. I have to go in for non-stress tests twice a week and ultrasounds once a week. If she moves down anymore on the growth chart, that's when we'll be in trouble. 

I am trying to find a balance between feeling too worried and remaining hopeful that things could still work out normally. With all this extra monitoring, I'm really confident that Maggie's birth will go better than Claire's birth, at least. But I was hoping for a lot better, not just marginally so. 

Well, all we can do is wait. In the meantime, I'm off to furiously check things off the to-do list and figure out how to get a lot more protein into my diet...

9 comments:

  1. Ugh, waiting is so hard!! I am sorry you guys are going through this, and we will keep you and little Maggie in our prayers. Our little guys are in the 20th percentile, I am crossing my fingers they stay there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Caitlin, I am so sorry you have to worry about this! I just wanted everything to go really smoothly for you this time around. :( I'm sure all is fine though... she's just little. Someone has to be the smallest 10%! :) But of course little Maggie will be in our prayers anyway. Maybe all those extra appointments are just God's way of giving y'all some extra reassurance that everything is fine as you get closer to her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Prayers - hopefully you can gorge yourself on hummus & nut butters & steak and whatnot... And just remember, a bacon egg & cheese bagel at McDonald's has THREE sources of protein in one tidy package!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww c'mon Maggie! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, prayers headed your way Caitlin! Maybe you'll get all your to-do's done early and just get to chill with Claire for a few weeks. That would be lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry, the ultrasounds can be way off, especially with weight and they said everything else looks good. I'd add protein bars and muscle milk everyday. It's a lot of protein without eating a lot. I found the protein helped me feel better too. We're thinking about you all and sending good vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll be praying for you and Maggie! I know the unknown can be so worrisome, but stay positive, peaceful, and prayerful, and remember any birth story is her story just the way God intended her to arrive!

    ReplyDelete

You are awesome.