4.18.2013

Better Cookies

So, I might have made chocolate chip cookies twice in one week...

Here's the first recipe I used:

This morning Claire threw up all over the backseat and then pooped in the tub. It's a chocolate chip cookie kinda day.

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips

I baked them at 375 for 9-10 minutes and ended up with very thin, crunchy cookies. They weren't terrible or anything, but I knew I could do better. 

A few days later, I read this article and was inspired to try again. 

Here's the second recipe I tried:

I have a problem...

2 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
 1 tablespoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips

I baked them at 350 for 10-11 minutes and they were so, so much better! What was the big difference?

- I used half a cup more flour and half a cup more sugar. 
- I used proportionately more brown sugar than white sugar.
- I let my butter and eggs warm to room temperature.
-  I used three times the amount of vanilla. 
- I let the dough chill for an hour in the fridge. 
- I baked them in a 25 degree cooler oven. 

I just found it so fascinating that all these little changes could result in a completely different cookie! They are certainly not the world's best and I'm still excited to try more of the tricks y'all generously shared, but I'm pretty happy so far. 

P.S. I really like to bake. I also have a really big sweet tooth. So I joined the funeral ministry at church. When a funeral is held, our church offers to help with the reception and everyone in the ministry provides the goodies. It's a great way to help out from home and also not eat six dozen cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome.