5.09.2013

Clarifications + Cute Videos

So, a certain post from last week has been getting a little more attention than this tiny blog usually sees. In light of that, I thought I should clarify a few things. 

Did I write that post because I feel judged? Absolutely not. We have never received any judgmental comments about being young parents. Sure, people have been surprised, but that's about it. I did not write that post because someone said something mean to me. I wrote that post because all these articles from members of the conservative media promoting young marriage but never, ever mentioning children kind of bug me. 

Do I think that our path is right for everyone? Of course not. I definitely don't think everyone should get married in college and have their first child before graduating! We had some pretty unique circumstances that made this path possible for us. The whole point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of different ways to do things. Each way has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Do I perceive more of a stigma because we live in Seattle? Definitely. Seattle has a much higher cost of living and is much less socially conservative than anywhere else we've lived {Houston and Pittsburgh}. Of course those factors play a big role in marriage and family here. We were really, really blessed with a great group of young families in Pittsburgh and we knew when we moved to Seattle that we probably wouldn't find the same kind of thing. 

Do I know what I'm missing? I think I have a pretty good idea. It's easy to feel a little embarrassed of our two-bedroom apartment when most of the families we meet are already home-owners. Or when someone asks what I did before having kids and I don't have a very interesting answer. But I also know what I'm gaining - more time with the people I love. 

Do I know how hard it will be to go back to work?  Honestly, with just one toddler so far, I don't know when or if I'll go back to work and what I'd like to do. I have always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and I feel very blessed to be doing just that. I do know that it would be pretty challenging to enter the workforce later in life with a completely blank resume. But, I also know that people do it. My favorite history professor only started her PhD once her kids were grown. Another doctor at my obstetrician's practice went to medical school at the same time as her oldest child. It might be a really difficult, uphill battle. But it's not impossible. 

Well, enough of that. We're all really here for the cute baby, right? Here are some videos I've been meaning to share. 


Say ahh! Claire is really into feeding us lately.  


She likes to walk around with my phone and have pretend conversations. While doing that the other day, she somehow recorded a video. So that's the world through Claire's eyes!


I saved the best for last. Walking!

3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I just went back and read the comments on that post! Quite a stir! But I don't think there's anyone that could watch the video of adorable walking Claire and say you should have done a single thing differently! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking! Get it, Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could do some sort of pun on Claire's name....that's what I thought when I saw the title "clarifications"....Claire-ifications...I don't know where I'm going with this...haha

    ReplyDelete

You are awesome.