7.18.2014

Seven Quick Takes

 1. I'm sure you're all dying to know what I decided to keep from Boden. Well, the skirt, of course. And in the end I went with the navy blue top. The white blouse was pretty but ultimately too impractical for my everyday life. The green striped top was a little too short to wear with jeans. I felt like I would always be tugging it down, you know? I got to do a little shopping with my mom while she was in town and she super generously treated me to a new dress and the craziest shoes on the clearance rack at Famous Footwear for the Edel Gathering. By the way, you know how they announced this week that there were a few tickets left to the conference? My sister is coming!!

P1140303  

2. This was a really, really good week. Ever since Maggie arrived, Adam has taken Claire out on a little daddy-daughter outing at some point on the weekend while I've attempted to do as much cleaning as possible. This was the first week that I tried to get back to my little clean a bit every week day routine and I actually got everything done! Hopefully this will free up more time for Adam to mow and do yard work on the weekend, which will ultimately give us more time all together. 

P1140315

3. It was a good week besides just cleaning, don't worry. One morning, the girls and I met friends at a kid's concert at the beach park. We had plans to meet at the splash pad another morning, but it was a little too chilly for that, so we went to the farm park instead. Oh, how I love in summer in Seattle. I appreciate the sun so much more since moving here. We try to spend as much time outdoors, soaking up the sunshine, as we possibly can. I think we've been to the park six times this week!

P1140323

4. Local cherries were on sale at the grocery store this week, so I bought enough to make a pie. I've decided I should pretty much exclusively make pies for dessert from now on, because they're really the only dessert I'm not tempted by. I know there's only eight slices, so I can't have just a little bit during the day. I'm pretty sure one of the hardest parts about being a stay-at-home mom is being surrounded by food all day long. Add in either being pregnant, nursing, or trying to lose baby weight, and you don't exactly have a recipe for success. Not to mention the seemingly direct correlation between incessant whining and the desire to sneak chocolate chips...

P1140317 

5. While I was baking the pie, and ironing the linens for church, and sewing a quick birthday present for our niece, I listened to some of the podcasts Elizabeth Foss and Leila Lawler are doing on the Little Oratory. I haven't read the book yet, mostly because I have the paper version and I find it to so much easier to read digital books these days, but I still loved listening to their discussion. This was actually the first time I've listened to a podcast outside of the standard NPR ones. Are you a podcast fan? What are your favorites?

P1140342 

6. Having family in town made us slow down from our usual mode of "accomplish all the things" after the girls were in bed. We actually watched two movies, The Book Thief and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, both of which we loved. We also started watching Once Upon A Time, which definitely has some cheesy moments and not-great special effects, but overall we're really enjoying the whole fractured fairy tale thing.

7. Look, Maggie is standing up! For her whole life she's refused to put any weight on her legs, so this is a big deal. I think her thighs look even more delicious upright!



Well, I hope you have a wonderful weekend filled with lots of baby thighs and cherry pie and sunshine. Go see Jen for more quick takes!

4 comments:

  1. I think brownies are the stupidest dessert I ever make... So easy to just cut another one out of the pan and scarf if down! But cake requires a plate and a fork and that's too much work, so I actually save things like that for *real* dessert! Definitely one of the perils of being home all the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally possible to sneak pie for me....unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I hear you on being a SAHM and food, especially dessert. I admit I would probably sneak pie too. The past two or three weeks I haven't bought sweet snacky type foods while shopping and man it is TOUGH. First world problems I guess. :-P

    Enjoy Once Upon a Time ... I love that show. I watch it by myself because Keith can't stand the cheesiness, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choice, that skirt was adorable! And super flattering. I so wish that I were able to go to the edel gathering.

    ReplyDelete

You are awesome.