11.10.2014

Maggie's Photo Project

One Year!

We successfully completed this monthly photo project with two kids! Just like her big sister, Maggie was definitely ready to be done by twelve months and is also being bribed with popcorn in all of those pictures. 

 I debated about using a different pattern for Maggie's quilt, but in the end I decided to keep it consistent. I thought I would do a better job my second time around, but nope, Maggie's is just as wonky as Claire's. I mean, made with love, right? I apologize in advance for how terrible these photos are - it's so hard now that we rarely have natural light to work with!

P1150516

I made this doll quilt, first, as a warm-up of sorts. This time, I used cardboard templates to cut all the fabric strips, which made things a lot easier. I wanted the quilt to be 24 inches long and 18 inches wide, so I cut each strip to be 2.5 inches wide and 20 inches long. I had enough leftover batting and quilt binding in my stash for this one.

P1150520

The sock monkey volunteered to demonstrate the size difference! I wanted this quilt to be 48 inches long and 26 inches wide, so I cut each strip to be 4.5 inches wide and 40 inches long. I picked a pretty yellow fabric for the backing to coordinate with Claire's quilt. I needed two packets of quilt binding and a crib-size length of batting. This video was really helpful for explaining the quilt-as-you-go method and this tutorial was essential for understanding how to attach the binding.

P1150521

P1150522

P1150523

For the banner, I needed two sheets of white felt, two packets of white embroidery floss, and one package of double-fold bias tape. I printed the letters in Arial Bold 250 point. The triangles are seven inches wide, across the top, and nine inches long. You can see the whole thing in this post about her birthday party.

P1150524

P1150527

P1150525

Maggie's other birthday present was set of doll bunk beds. We bought two of these doll beds from Ikea, bunked them, and then painted. They've been a big hit so far!

I'm still planning on making her a photo book with all of her monthly photos and updates, just like I did for Claire. I probably won't get around to that until January though, when I'm working on our annual family yearbook. 

A post on our process for taking and editing these monthly photos is in the works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome.